TimberWest is Western Canada’s largest private land owner with approximately 322,000 hectares (796,000 acres) of private land on Vancouver Island. In 2003 TimberWest approached Cortex Consultant Inc. to assist in developing and deploying a forest estate model that would provide an optimal management plan for their lands that is consistent with their SFI certification requirements.
- Development of a cost effective modeling solution using the Remsoft Spatial Planning System
- Ongoing forest estate modeling services and communication of results to senior management, including the board of directors
- Modeling support for acquisitions and/or divestitures of forestry assets
- Internal analysis costs associated with full-time personnel, training, hardware, software, and on-going maintenance were reduced or completely eliminated. This amounted to a cost saving of over approximately $300,000 over 4 years
- Cortex works closely with TimberWest staff to provide a timely flow of consistent forest management and harvest forecasts to senior management
- Forest-level and senior management have the same understanding of the productive potential of their forest asset